Per the Office of Catholic Education, parents of any participants of in-house CYO activities must sign a waiver before joining a team. The COVID-19 Waiver can be found below. Please review the guidelines set forth below by the CYO office. Schools/parishes are solely responsible for teams operating in-house activities this Fall.
- ANY CYO activities being conducted in-house must follow the below guidelines:
- -Any programs operating within their parish umbrella, using parish facilities, and/or with parish funds, must be approved by the Pastor or Priest Moderator overseeing CYO.
- -Any programs operating under the school umbrella, using school facilities, and/or functioning with school funds, must be approved by the Principal or school moderator overseeing CYO.
- Parents must sign a waiver allowing their child to participate in CYO activities given the circumstances of COVID-19.
- -CYO programs/boards must adopt the parish or school’s health and safety plan for procedures relating to COVID-19 and the necessary steps being taken to disinfect publicly used areas. If no plan is provided, the CYO athletics board must form and construct a health and safety plan and present it to the CYO Director.
- -Any child attending a CYO activity of any kind must be pre-screened by a parent for COVID-19 symptoms, and screened again upon entry to the CYO event.
- -Parents, volunteers, coaches, and any other attendees (besides players) must socially distance and wear a mask AT ALL TIMES while associated with a CYO activity. Per the Department of Education, athletes are not required to wear masks while engaged in competition, but must put a mask on while on the sidelines.
- -Coaches must use social distancing in practices whenever possible.
- -Intrasquad scrimmages and in-house competition will be the only competition permitted under the guise of the CYO.
- -Regional and Archdiocesan post-season tournaments will be suspended barring any drastic changes to the current state of the pandemic.
The goal of the CYO entering this school year is to provide our Catholic schools the best opportunity to reopen safely for the Fall. In order to allow that transition, and in concordance with the AOP high school level athletics, the CYO “in-house” programs will not begin until Monday, September 14th, at the earliest. This date is fluid, along with all of our plans in an unprecedented time, but we believe this will allow our schools time to focus on getting kids back in the classrooms and prioritizing the adjustment to a new normal for our students.
As of July 31, the CYO Department has decided to suspend all competition between programs for the foreseeable future. This means that no CYO teams are permitted to schedule, coordinate, or carry out games or matches with any other CYO programs for any reason.
Because physical activity, team building, and a return to normalcy are imperative in some form for our youth, CYO programs have the option to independently conduct sports activities.
This independent model will only include in-house practices, intrasquad scrimmages, and skill-building activities within the same CYO team.